Friday, September 21, 2007

Alive and more





















Joe's out getting Mac and Cheese beause the new, super awesome place that we're staying at has a stove and refrigerator! Sweeet... God bless Cabarete.

After the four (!!!) bus changes it took (while sick no less) to get to Cabarete, Joe and I met up with a friend's friend named Francis. Francis has lived in Cabarete all his life, and was the 2005 windsurfing champion of Cabarete, and the third place finisher in 06. So, pretty much, if you're going to be at the world's best location for wind surfing and kite surfing, he's the guy to talk to. He is in the sun so much that his awesome hair is completely naturally bleached!


Francis is amazingly nice, and not the least bit conceited at all. He lives literally on the beach, and grew up surfing and playing in the water.

^ Francis's house, and Francis and his cousins.

The last two days he has been teaching us how to surf, although, I'm sure I feel a lot cooler on the surfboard than I actually look. Actually, I'm sure of that because the first time I tried to surf, I promptly hit myself in the head with the surfboard. The second time, I hit my chin. At least I'm not bleeding (much) like Joe whose knee is all scraped up! It was so worth it.

^ Taking a coconut break after being demolished by the surfboard. Check out the bruises on my right leg...

Tomorrow is kite surfing, and Sunday, we're taking Francis with us to climb Pico Duarte! We figured, hey, why not, and, he was enthusiastic about it as well. Joe thinks we can climb it in two and a half days, but, I'm expecting a three day climb, with the help of a mule. We'll see...

God bless Cabarete as the perfect way to end this sickness!





1 comment:

Jon said...

No way, a gift! for me! oh man I am sooo stoked I can't even tell you! Thanks so much you guys you really didn't have to...but I'm glad you did! Your lives sound incredible, as usual, and I can't emagine how awesome surfing there must be. If I were you, I wouldn't come back, really, its not all that great here.

I take the LSAT on Saturday. Ug. My nerves are a bit frayed to say the least, but at least I will be rid of this dark cloud that's been hanging over my head.

Glad to hear you are both feeling better, being sick in another country is no fun. Have a good hike and such, and I will continue to look forward to hearing about your travels!