Monday, August 27, 2007

C-R-A-P packing

It's getting to be That Time again, a time where my dresser and closet are unabashedly bared and my floor glares at me in angry, white patches, barely visible through the mounds of freshly done laundry and suitcases.

As a college student living approximately a bajillion miles away from home, AND, a biology major to boot, trust me, I have this packing business down to an exact science.

My method, which works every single time, can be boiled down to four things: Clean, Radiate, Accept, and Pack (also known as CRAP for short). This precious bit of knowledge has been used and improved over many a last minute packing adventure, so please, trust the expert here (points to self).


Sara's CRAP packing technique:

1) Clean- No matter how random the article is, as a practicing CRAP packer, I believe in laundering every bit of clothing that will end up in the suitcase (or in the Salvation Army bag).

2) Radiate- There is no way you can determine what is necessary for your trip without seeing it all in front of you! Radiate, radiate, radiate and spread everything over as large a space as possible. This is coincidentally the same method that my 6 year old cousin uses to much the same result.

3) Accept- As radiating will prove, there is no way all of that stuff on your floor will fit into a itty bitty suitcase. Shoes? Eh... Your lamp? Who needs light?

Accept the fact, and move on. It's the only way.

And,

4) Pack! Stuff, shove, and sit your way into 40-pounds of concentrated luggage.




I am currently in the "Radiate" phase, but feeling miles away from Accepting. With every carefully chosen item (natural selection, YUS!), I am forced to mentally weigh the object and assess whether it's true place is in the pack on my back for a month, or back in the relieved and semi-clothed closet once more.

Thus far, I have picked out two pairs of capris (if it shows you how used to roughing it I am, one is from Banana Republic), a pair of shorts, a rainjacket, and three shirts.

I think I am nearly done!

Swimming in carefully radiated clothing,
Sara

No comments: