Thursday, August 7, 2008

Demo(nstration) Mad(cow)ness

SHOOT (pun intended), Korea's soccer team which I love is playing in the Olympics and I need to see this!! Quickly, let me get something off my chest:

I think one of the most disconcerting aspects of my stay in South Korea is the widespread negative sentiment that ebbs through the entire country, exploding into waves of protests almost daily in the streets of Seoul. Daily we drive by armored "riot buses," buses with grills on the windows and filled to the brim with Korean police officers wielding shields and clubs. In front of the subway stations are typically 4-8 of these riot police officers, ready to spring into (violent) action at the merest hint of a "Demo" (short for demonstration, or, protest).

The negativity stems from much that we, as Americans, can relate to. Distrust, and even anger towards the conservative president. A tanking economy coupled with job shortages. Crazy weather.

What I, as a product of a Western and capitalistic educational background, CANNOT relate to is the sheer numer of demos occuring, and the content of the demonstrations. I am all for social activism, and even for political dissent to keep politicians on their toes. But, demos, riot buses, 16,000 police officers clogging the streets daily? I'm having trouble understanding.

This was one of the first cases where I realized in a slap in the face realization that I come from a very different cultural background than those around me who share my skin color and blood.

South Korean President Lee Myung-Bak who grew up in extreme poverty to extricate himself using very "American" and non-traditional methods in Korea to become the youngest CEO of Hyundai is a very classic example of a strict economist who uses basic business principles to try and draw win win situations. Him, I get. His economic strategies, I get. I think the biggest example of his nothing short of genius political acumen and savvy business skilz is his turning a gross, swampy garbage stream that nobody wanted to live by into a scenic, pleasant river (Cheungecheon) that runs through Seoul spawning much desired riverside properties and beautifying the city during his time as Mayor. That earned Lee Myung-bak his thumbs up from Time Magazine as the "hero of the environment", and, that's about when I slowly started to give my approval to the atypical businessman from Seoul who promised Korea the 747: 7 % annual growth in GDP, $40,000 USD per capita, and a rise from 14th to 7th in world's largest economies.

But, Lee has a 17% approval rating from Koreans. And, it's declining. A huge contributing factor to this disappointing number is the pro-American, pro-trade attitude Lee holds. He made the decision to re open trade with the United States beef industries after trade was closed in 2003 after the first reported case of mad cow disease.

Well, Koreans went ballistic. And continue to demo DAILY in protest of American beef asking for Lee's resignation.

I can't claim to know anything more about the status of Mad Cow Disease in American beef than the lay person in America. But, from my meager knowledge, I don't think that it's a large, or even close to large threat. For the most part, I'm behind the self declared "CEO of Korea, Inc." Mr. Lee.

The last few days have been especially tense as President Bush himself has dropped in for a visit en route to Beijing. At night, the streets are alive with raucous protests from middle school aged students to about middle aged professionals.

The Koreans I have met are lovely, and, it really puzzles me to hear their political tirades against the President. Maybe I will meet somebody or see something that suddenly will illuminate a side to the story that I currently don't understand... I will try to keep an open mind.

For now, I really can't concentrate on writing any further; I love Korea's soccer team (as evidenced by the times my dad and I woke up at 3am to drive two hours and see the World Cup games in a Korean supermarket with 600 other fans) :) More on the riots later... with pictures next time.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

That's very interesting about the protests. I don't really know anything about Korea's president, but I know that Argentina's president has had pretty low approval ratings based on a similar issue: export taxes on farmers. It was all for redistribution of wealth, which sounds good to me, but the support of just the lower class isn't getting her far.
Similar situation in Bolivia, where the president just won a recall election. All fascinating!