Sunday, July 20, 2008

Trying to update as much as possible

Coincidentally, especially for this blog, one of my fellow toga riders who I met on the infamous "Toga Tour" while attending the Institute for Humane Studies seminar on Poverty and Prosperity is now in South Korea for his Fulbright! I just read his blog, and it is absolutely dead on in so many regards. Here is an excert that I felt especially hit the nail on the head:

"Also I should note that since being here and hanging out almost every night with Korean people, I have noticed how open and honest they always are with everyone. Sometimes this is bad, like if they think you are overweight, but most of the time it is a doorway to awesome conversation and thought. They are so sincere, and will not hesitate to tell you that seeing you has made them very happy. This frank style of talk is refreshing, but is also somewhat intimidating because any judgment they make about you is likely to be verbalized. "

Along the same vein (forthright and outspoken), my mom's side of the family is pretty darn chunky, especially for Koreans. While eating dinner a few nights ago, my entire family kept on bringing up the fact that my cousin (or one of them anyway), had gained all the weight she had lost 2 years ago right before her wedding. I felt so bad for her! But, it's just the culture here, and, she completely took it in stride.

Another thing is, here, you define yourself by your family. I remember in my human rights anthro class hearing Prof Theidon talk about how those from America define themselves by their job, hobbies, interests, and appearance, but, here you are made up of your blood first before anything else. And, it's easy to see why: for family, people will pull out all of the stops; for family there is no such thing as discomfort.

For all my soul searching and self searching in the last few years, I really never once thought to look deep, deep inside... in my blood. The answers to questions I have been asking are slowly being answered :)

Now, I'm off to take a nap in my first BED of this trip! Many Koreans still sleep on the ondul (heatable floor), and, my back is craving a nice, cozy bed!

Besos, erm, popos!
Sara

No comments: