Friday, July 18, 2008

First days: pictures!

Thank goodness for tech savvy cousins/Koreans! Due to them, I now can upload my pictures onto this journal, huzzah! I have to go, so I'll make this one quick :) Here are some pics from the last few days... enjoy!


My cousin cutting up the deeeeelicious Kalbi meat (the Korean equivalent of steak) to grill at our table. Btw, check out the panchan (small little dishes) on our table.



Parking, Korean style by driving onto a metal rack ala Wall-E.






My uncle who was just ripped off for the first time by Starbucks (to quote, in an extremely loud voice (he's a professional opera singer): "WHO IS THIS ****n BUCKS GUY ANYWAY???"). He asked my cousin to go get him a coffee, and so my cousin came back with a Grande coffee... that was $5. And, the cup was definitely NOT a Grande by American standards. In Korea, they don't even sell Venti on the menu.




My family! My cousin on the left, my two uncles, me, my other cousin, and her husband :) Again, check out the mad panchan!





Poor girls trying to get people to buy skin care products... This is where stereotypes are born.






Shopping with the multitudes in Myong Dong







2 things: 1) flat screen tvs everywhere thanks to Samsung which is based in Seoul. 2) Suicide barriers in the form of the glass doors in the subway stations





Touching World Cup grass after we visited the World Cup stadium. We also went into the locker rooms where my favorite soccer players once peed. It was a thrill, let me tell you :) They transformed most of the world cup stadium into a shopping center and movie theater.



Dog meat soup: The only reason why we look so happy is because we didn't try it yet.





DOG HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





My cousin's super sweet grandmother took an unnatural liking to me ("I have an idea Sara! You can wake up and go to pray with me at 4:00 in the morning") and went out and bought these "treats" for me special. They are some part of the cow's stomach on the left, tongue in the middle, and Soondae, a sausage made from pig intestine on the outside, and blood, intestine, and vegetables on the inside. Actually, the Soondae is my favorite!











Korean palace




Oh Disney... iRiver came out with Disney inspired mp3 players that are apparently all the rage.





View from my Uncle's house where I am staying (in Seoul).







It finally stopped raining, too, so, I think I can safely put the score at Mosquitoes: 2, Rain: 0, Sara:1


Lots of love, more pics later, I have to goooo

Jee Hee

3 comments:

Andrew said...

I love the skin-care girl staring blankly at you. I can totally picture her whining, "Yaaaaa, way-guh daaaay."

Anonymous said...

I would love to have seen your uncle decry the Starbucks nation. Sorry we didn't get to meet up again before you left - scheduling is not as easy as I'd like it to be at times. Maybe I should refer to operating instruction No. 2...
By the way, blood sausage is always delicious, no matter the blood.

KitKat said...

!!! sara, you're jee hee, too?