Saturday, September 8, 2007

So much to say but so little time to say it!

Sorry for the lack of posts on this volunteer trip portion of The Great Adventure. I´ve been writing in my journal hoping to have some time to translate that onto this blog, but alas, the last few times I´ve tried to use the internet, the power has gone out five minutes in. Oh the Dominican Republic!

Before I transcribe my journal entries here, let me just say briefly that this has been one of the greatest experiences of my life, and it´s not even halfway over. Sure, I woke up with two cockroaches on me... sure, we now consider a good bathroom to a) be enclosed with a hole b) flush c) be light enough to see... and sure, I have a blister from using the machete to clear the land by the latrine, but, we have also successfully built the school latrine, painted and restored the library, built bookshelves for the books to be put in Oak Grove Library (courtesy of the amazing folks up at Oak Grove), taken 13 infants and mothers to get vaccinations and medication for vomiting and diharrea, painted the school, etc. etc. the list goes on. Our volunteers are an aboslutely hardy bunch, not deterred by the bajillion mosquitoes or being slapped in the face by poverty. On the contrary, we´ve all made fast friends with the children and parents, and it was a sad sad thing to say goodbye this morning.

We´ve been so blessed... it´s been a fruitful, productive, and memorable trip. I am now officially a godmother of Milka, the daughter of a friend and Haitian sharecropper who we eat and spend time with, Michele, and once again rejuvenated by the awe inspiring work of God.
These pictures are not mine, but, I promised some pics so here we go.
Taken from one of the volunteer´s cameraÑ
Our fearless volunteers!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING folk who gave up 12 days to help out the DR Schools Project. From the left, me, John, Jenny, Melissa, Joe, and Linda. The Seabass is not pictured unfortunately (I had limited photos to choose from)

Walking to Estella´s house, the home of a Haitian sharecropping family. They pay for agrochemicals, the seed, and of course the labor to produce a crop to sell at market day, however, under the unfair sharecroppnig system of the DR, have to give up half of their profit at the end of the day to a Dominican landlord. Sebastian and I microfinanced Estella´s family so that they can begin a small corner grocery store.


At Market day where Estella and other families sell their produce and whatnot. I´m holding a stick of sugar cane. Market day is when the border between the DR and Haiti is open to facilitate trade, however, it can be a dangerous place because of the national tensions... a man was stabbed fairly recently, so market day was at maybe a quarter capacity. We stuck out like sore thumbs.
Below, because I can´t get the formatting right, is some of Roznie´s food. We ate every day at Roznie and Michele´s place, a house that was purchased by Sebastian, my co-director. Sebastian has been going back and forth to the DR for 10 years, and in his travels met Michele and Roznie, living on dirt floors in inhumane conditions. He bought them a house and pays them a monthly stipend in exchange for all of their children going to school everyday. Those same children are the ones who are the BEST in school, and I am Milka, the infant´s, godmother.
The school!! The books were a HUUUUGE success, and I taught the kids how to play perro perro gato (dog dog cat because I forgot the names for geese and duck) as well as ultimate frisbee and gongi.
Jenny and me trying unsuccessfullly to grab some guavas from the tree. The kids made it look easy!
Jenny and me again. Behind us is Haiti where we purchased the most delicious empanadas you can find ANYWHERE. MAN, those were good.
The pristine and unused DR beaches are absolutely gorgeous. This isnt exactly a tourist destination, so we were quite alone when we took Michele´s family to the beach.
Jump!!!!!!!! Meliss and I. Poor Jeremy was so confused when we told him to lay down and began burying him with sand!!!


Jeremy up close (michele and Roznie´s son)

The volunteer portion is over and the volunteers are leavng tomorrow. I will miss them, but, Joe and I are going to have just the greatest adventure, I´m sure!

Much love and un abrazo,

Sarrrrrrrrita

1 comment:

Jon said...

Incredible! I can't believe all the adventures you all are having, they sound totally incredible. The beach looks amazing and beautiful, as does the jungle you were walking through in one picture. Arg I wish I could be there with you all! I miss you guys big time, be sure to tell Joe that, and tell him that I have not slept soundly since I stopped sleeping with him in your living room. So now the real adventure begins! I will be praying for you guys, be safe and have ridiculous fun!