Saturday, September 15, 2007

It is so ridiculously hard for me to remember what happened the last few. Oh man. Here it goes.

We decided to leave Samana and head towards wherever. We stopped to ask a nice looking lady where we could catch a gua gua. She ended up walking us to the street where the gua guas pass through (gua guas being the vans that are privately owned and serve as cheap methods of transportation), and we started up a pleasant conversation. Somehow, she ended up inviting us to stay at her house in Cacao, and we of course accepted. What a nice lady!

The crazy thing is, as we were walking with her, a motorcycle crashed literally right in front of our feet. I panicked a little bit, and was the first to get to him. My first instinct was to put something on the wounds, so I whipped out the antiseptic spray and gel and coated the guy who was bleeding from his head, arm, legs... I also relived my memory of crashing a motorcycle, and had my stomach churning with the feeling of lying on the ground, cut and shuddering. What a horrible memory.

Cacao was amazing. Quaint, lovely... a little winding stone town where the lady we were walking with seemingly had family around every corner. After she settled us in and gave us coffee, we realized we had no idea what her name was.

Blanca as it turns out has 7 children, and two of her daughters took us and their daughters to the beach. A wonderful family and greaaat eating... SUCH good food!!!! After swimming in the ocean, they took us to this tropical nook with fresh water to bathe... stuff of dreams. The entire day was magical, and I could not believe places and people like this existed in the real world. Is this the real world? I have no idea.

Blanca´s house is a typical Dominican house, but, her kitchen opens up to the most gorgeous view of the ocean, and a direct drop. In the last two days, we learned how to dance bachata, got quite close to our new and dear friends Yiselle, Nairobi, and Yiselle´s kids Cynthia and Christian. They wanted us to stay for a week, but, we had to leave. We exchanged numbers, and promises to see each other again, and soon. I really will miss them. I keep on saying this, and I know, I know, it´s probably getting old, but, what a great great family. What great people, and such hospitality to strangers.

Mairobe with our freshly caught lobster and fish... literally, we walked to the boats where they had just pulled in, and picked out which ones we wanted.



Bachata with the sisters!

Now, we are in Terrenas. I am starting to realize two things... here, I am as fearless as Í´ll ever fear. I love staying with new found friends, and I am loving grabbing gua guas with no plans and eating whatever with whomever. But, my greatest fear at the same time is going home and being a different person, weighed down to the point where I look back at these blogs, at my journal, at the pictures and think I am a different person. I want to keep this Sara around as long as possible!

1 comment:

Jon said...

Well, you are officially having about a 2000% better time than I am having. What you are doing is really living, what everyone should do but is too afraid to. How I envy you. Love to you guys, stay safe.