Friday, September 28, 2007

27 waterfalls, one day

First of all, I read my entry from yesterday, and realized that I unknowingly implicated Joe in a lot of the crap I doled about Boys. He, ever the gentleman, was the perfect male travel companion. The problem was, for the first time on the trip, I really would have appreciated some good ol female socializing... just one conversation to tide me through the trek. In no way was it his fault, and he is, I maintain, an incredible traveler and a friend that I will have for a lifetime. Sorry buddy, I didn´t mean to come out so harsh.

Today, we took a gua gua a few kms past Imbert where we hiked, swam, slid down, and jumped off of no less than 27 waterfalls. It. Was. INCREDIBLE. One of the best trips of the trip, it was absolutely breathtaking to swim in the fresh water pools, look up to vines and sunlight seeping inbetween branches, and later, jump off of 30 foot waterfalls into 10km deep pools.

It felt absolutely magical... as if fairies and the like would creep out as soon as we were done rope climbing up the side of a rock. Magical.

I promised Antoni, our guide, that I would return and bring all my friends, and I know that I will make good on that promise. Amazing.

Los Viente Siete Charcos everybody... tell your friends!

--------------------------------

In other news, the hostel that Joe and I are staying at is the cheapest one so far, but, the most pleasant hands down. At $5 a night, there are actually two doors that are nailed like barn doors, and we were given a padlock to secure it when we leave. The room itself is mostly occupied by a twin bed (which explains how Joe´s leg ended up on my face last night), and a bathroom with no door. The ceilings are unnaturally high, almost twice the length of the actual room, and outside, there is a small sitting area in the courtyard with lines of fresh laundry stretching in all directions. The people are extremely hospitable, and the entire building has a quaint, eccentric feel with a dull pink exterior, and pale yellow walls inside.

On the down side, Joe and I have not showered in 6 days now... we smell. Badly. We have been jumping into some river or another almost every day, but, I always manage to forget the soap or feel bad about soiling the potable water. Our room does have a shower, but, water seems to be a bit... tempermental at best. We can only flush the toilet sometimes (about every 20 minutes or so when Joe timed it), and the sink works pretty much when it wants to.

I am going to go try to take a shower... wish me luck! I hope in three days my parents can recognize me beneath all this grime...

No comments: